Re:Lettings, the Belfast-based lettings and property management company, have become the first to protect their tenant’s deposit under new tenancy deposit scheme legislation, which came into force on 1st April New deposit protection legislation means that all landlords and letting agents in Northern Ireland who take a deposit from their tenants are now required to protect it within a government-licensed scheme.
Re:Lettings protected their tenant’s deposit with my|deposits Northern Ireland, one of the four government-licenced schemes available to landlords and letting agents in Northern Ireland.
Richard Evans, Director of Re:Lettings, commented:
“At Re:Lettings we have a passion for everything property and we pride ourselves in being at the forefront of the industry. This is the biggest change in legislation in Northern Ireland in recent years so we’re delighted to be the first to have protected our tenant’s deposit under the new law.
“We were sure that the changes would provide a big challenge for us but with the support and service we’ve had from my|deposits Northern Ireland, the transition has been smooth and hassle free.
“It’s not often the Director of a company takes the time to visit a business and from day one the my|deposits Northern Ireland team have gone over and above the call of duty to assist me in keeping my business on track."
Dawn Nelson, tenant with Re:lettings, said:
“I previously lived in England and have had positive experiences of deposit protection, so I was aware of the benefits that it brings.
“Luckily I have a great relationship with Re:Lettings, but deposit protection is a positive step for everyone in Northern Ireland and the industry at large. It not only provides tenants with greater piece of mind that their deposit money is properly protected but also that it won’t be unfairly withheld at the end of the tenancy”.
Landlords and letting agents who take a deposit from their tenant can access further information about the new legislation and their responsibilities by visiting www.mydepositsni.co.uk. The website also has a dedicated tenants’ area with important information about their rights and what to expect from their landlord or letting agent.
For further information, please contact:
Senior Press Officer
T: 020 7840 8925
M: 07508 031 084
NOTES TO EDITORS:
About my|deposits Northern Ireland:
- my|deposits Northern Ireland is the trading name of Tenancy Deposit (NI) Limited.
- Tenancy Deposit (NI) Limited is a subsidiary of Tenancy Deposit Solutions Limited, a company jointly owned by the National Landlords Association and HFIS plc T/A Hamilton Fraser Insurance (the Scheme Administrator) to deliver both a custodial and insurance-based tenancy deposit scheme (TDS) in Northern Ireland, under contract from the Department for Social Development (DSD).
- Landlords and letting agents wishing to use the scheme are required to register with the Scheme Administrator. They can find out more and visiting www.mydepositsni.co.uk
- Registered members of the Scheme are able to protect and unprotect deposits at the beginning and end of tenancies.
- The custodial service is free for landlords and tenants. In the event of a dispute at the end of the tenancy agreement, both parties are offered access to Dispute Resolution Mechanism (DRM). This procedure will be evidence-based, relying on documentation and records.
1. RE: Lettings is an independent lettings and property management company providing a range or property management services to landlords in Northern Ireland.
2. For more information visit www.relettings.co.uk or call Richard Evans on 9099 8272.